Paolo Cresci Museum

The Paolo Cresci Museum for the history of Italian emigration is located in the Chapel of Santa Maria della Misericordia, inside the Doge's Palace.

1900 promissory note on yellowed paper with the design of a woman symbolizing Italy with a Swiss shield at her feet and a train and a ship on the sides and the inscription: Italo-Swiss American House established in 1876 - Agency for maritime and railway transport lines to and from all parts of the world. Direct correspondents of the Bank of Italy. Authorized agents of the Italian Treasury. Bills of exchange and postal orders payable at sight in any city and post office in Italy, Switzerland, England, France, etc. San Francisco, July 23, 1900, you will receive from the post office in Ruosina by postal bag or registered letter the sum of three hundred and fifteen lire.

Contact us

STREET ADDRESS: Ducal Palace - Via Vittorio Emanuele, 3 Lucca

PHONE: 0583 417483

The Museum recounts the phenomenon of Italian immigration from 1860 to 1960, through a collection of letters, diaries, photographs, and documents belonging to Italian emigrants.

The exhibition follows the stages of the path that the emigrant takes, from departure and the journey to finding a job in the country of arrivalThis allows us to understand the numerical aspects of emigration, such as departures and returns, but also psychological aspects or those linked to collective or individual social events, such as diversity, rejection, conformity, and identity.

The exhibition is also enriched by the screening of historical films, interviews with the protagonists and film clips.

(IMG Territorial Museum System of the Province of Lucca)